Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh Kobenhavn :]

I really need to start posting blogs more often, I feel like something new happens every day here!

To start off, I have decided I love Copenhagen street food :] Cierra and I did some wandering last week when I had a break between classes, we decided to try the street vendor hot dogs....may I say yum! I love them :] Then later that day Sierra, yes they are two different people, did some wandering when I had a a couple of hours between things to do, we came across this little chinese food stand...again delicious! So basically I love danish hot dog stands and I love danish chinese street food :] We also saw this festival type thing going on right near DIS, not quite sure what it was but they were singing karaoke to a bunch of english songs, quite entertaining, and then there were these people dressed up like Waldo from "Where's Waldo". I had my first strange Danish experience lol. My day was going so well until I left my reusable water bottle with my favorite caribiner attached to it on the train home :[

I went to a mall in Lyngby with my host family on friday afternoon, I loved everything in it except the prices, those I was not too fond of! But I did buy another reusable water bottle, and it came with a caribiner :]] Friday night I helped my host mom get some party stuff ready for the next day, it was her sister's birthday on Saturday so they were having a girls night. And the semi-finals for the handball world championship were on!

Saturday morning we got up early to go surprise Christina's sister for her birthday and have breakfast with her family. I bet she was surprised when she opened the door and here is this girl that she has never met standing outside waving a danish flag and singing happy birthday lol. I met Christina's sister and her husband, their 3 kids and then Christina's parents. They were really nice to me and we ate a lot of good bread :] I did learn something new, Danish people put their babies outside when they go to sleep. They put them in their little snow suits, put them in their strollers and then just put the baby outside, and go back inside, eventually they go and get the baby again. I was really shocked when I saw Christina's sister go put her newborn on the back porch, but apparently its a culture thing, and no babies have been taken yet! Christina's father got kicked out of the house while Christina and her sister and their friends had a girls night, so he came and hung out with us for the night, he is a really nice man, from Italy! We took a long walk around the area against the backdrop of a gorgeous sunset, I don't think I've seen an ugly sunset here!

On Sunday I went to church with my host family again, we went to a different church though because Benedicte was singing, the church was just beautiful, its like 800 years old and has awesome drawings inside, again I did not understand a single word but it was still enjoyable :] Christina's parents and Thomas's father came over to the house to the spend the afternoon with us, so we had a huge lunch and everyone relaxed, we had to gather our strength for the Handball World Championship game later that day, goooooo Denmark!

So handball...what can I say about handball...other than it being awesome it inspires a lot of pride in Danish people, and it truly shows how good natured the people of Denmark are. This game was so intense, I was taken back to how I felt when the Seahawks played the Steelers in the Superbowl of 2005. We had a miracle goal in the last seconds of the game and tied so we went into overtime. Denmark fought hard! but in the end they lost buy 2 points. This is when you see how nice Danish people are. The Danish was sad of course, but still seemed sincere in their congratulations to the French, well except for many Hansen. And then my host family says they played a great game. All I could think was that if this were the states people would be ranting about how we should've won and that they refs made bad calls, but no, they Danes were proud of how their team played.

I had a bit of a day today, first I miss my train, then I catch the next one and the operator comes over the loudspeaker saying something, how would I know he's speaking danish! Then the next thing I know we pull into the next station on the route and get onto another track, red flag number one! I just think oh okay we'll still get there anyway. I zone back into my ipod and when I finally look up I see that literally everyone has gotten off the train, What! So I scramble for my things and run for the door to figure out whats going on, I see another train going to Kobenhavn and it looks like people that were just on my train, so I run to get in before the doors close. I asked a girl what happened and she told me that when the operator made that announcement he was telling us that the train was broken so we needed to switch trains at Holte. Oh right I thought, that would happen in a foreign country where I can understand a single word people say!

I managed to get myself lost today after classes were over too. My brand new caribiner broke on the train this morning, what is it with those trains and my stuff! So I went on a wild goose chase across the city to find a store that would sell me a caribiner. Everywhere I went they said, we don't sell them but a store over that way does, so I go and they continue to tell me to go somewhere else. Eventually I didn't know where I was anymore and I was still caribinerless, so I did what every smart person does when they are lost, wander some more! Then I saw it, the neon "Norreport" sign, I'm saved! That's my train station by the way. I head in that direction and go into a store called Tiger, its basically made for study abroad students, they have everything you would need for a few month stay in Copenhagen, I wander for a bit and what do I find? A caribiner! Yes! Now you may think its silly that I get so worked up over a caribiner, but you don't understand, its like chap stick to me, a necessary part of my day! I put everything on them, waterbottles, keys and then can attach it to anything, its my lifesaver! So i got two, blue and green :] Is it sad that the most exciting part of my day was finding a caribiner?

I've come to the conclusion that I kinda enjoy being lost, I found some places that I probably never would have seen if I wasn't lost, and nothing beats that elation when you realize you know where you are again :]

2 comments:

  1. You broke and then bought a new "caribiner?" I... uh... hmm... have no idea what that is. A "caribiner?" Some sort of musical instrument from the Caribbean maybe...? :)

    Kobenhavn sure sounds awesome and I'm glad to hear you're having a good time. Plus, edible (delicious!) street food? Who would have guessed! We should definitely try to get a huge game of handball going at PLU when you get back, that'd be insane! Until then though, nyd Danmark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you're having a good time! I think of you everyday.

    ReplyDelete