Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Living the life!

I found a new favorite sport, Handball! Basically I love it :] For those of you who don't know handball you should, its kind of a cross between basketball and a bit of soccer. Each team has a goal, very small, that is defended  by a goalie, and they toss around this midget version of a soccer ball back and forth between their players and try to score. They can only take so many steps before needing to bounce it or pass it, and when they can plow through the defense they try to throw the ball in the goal. So basically scoring takes a lot of jumping, body contorting and quite a lot of funny face making. My host family and I watch in often in the evenings, it is also becoming one of the only times I can really understand what my host family is saying when they speak in Danish, Nej Nej Nej!

This weekend their 15 yr old son Daniel came home from his efterskole, which a traditional Danish version of a boarding school where the students are only there for a year and they are all in 9th or 10th grade. Daniel had just been on a week long ski trip in Norway with his school and they gave the students a 3 day weekend to spend with family. So Thomas went to get him around 7:30, on the way back they stopped to get some breakfast to bring home, an assortment of breads, rolls and donuts, have I mentioned how much I love Denmark :] Then we went to a mall type thing in Birkerod, where Benedicte and Daniel showed me around while their parents did the grocery shopping. Thomas and Christina come out of the grocery store to meet up with us and they tell me about this foreign substance that the bought for me, want to know what it was? Peanut butter! They don't eat it here, Christina has never even tried it before, and apparently it is nearly impossible to find. I guess I still have a lot to learn about Danish food.

My host family made home made pizza for dinner! Again, I love Denmark. Sunday morning I went to my host family's church with them, boy was that an experience. In the hour's long service I understood all of two words, but hey at least I understood something! I think Benedicte and Daniel enjoyed snickering at the confused look plastered on my face. I am definitely going back though, it was an interesting experience and i'm not ready to call it quits yet!
We had a little gathering of the host families who live in the area at our house Sunday afternoon, I met 3 new girls who live around and got to hang out again with 2 girls that I had met before who live pretty close. We all had a pretty good time and ate homemade cinnamon rolls, oh how I am being spoiled :]

I woke up this morning to the most amazing view from the kitchen window...a snow covered yard! I have been hoping it would snow just one time while i'm here and I got my wish!

Well thats all for now folks, more to come later!

1 comment: