Sunday, February 27, 2011

The roller coaster of Denmark

This past weekend I went with my host family to Lalandia. It was quite a fun weekend, full of chlorine, bowling shoes and uno cards. It made me think of my family vacations when I was a kid.

Lalandia had a small waterpark, with some indoor water slides, a wave pool and a partially outdoor water slide, which was kind of cold by the way. The indoor water slides were quite fun, though not the most compatible for a two piece suit, but I figured it out lol. The wave pool was fun, I enjoyed splashing Benedicte :] The outdoor slide was insane, basically no regulations, no lifeguards at the top to tell you what to do, so guess what happens? Masses of people just run up and jump in together, creating a fast moving barricade of bodies. The slide starts inside and then runs outside of the building and drops you off back inside on the floor below. The craziest part was all the people, you would just get stuck in a mass of bodies, strangers crashing into you or nearly laying on top of you as you plow forward. The pool where the slide drops you into is probably the most irritating part lol, remember that barricade I mentioned. Imagine getting thrown into a 6ft deep pool already full of people and having ten people drop in right behind you...kind of a problem. People had a tendency to get trampled in that landing pool. At one point I fell in and when I tried to get up another kid landed on top of me and pushed to the floor of the pool, and after that more people landed on top of me, stepping on me and kicking me. I did actually panic for a second because I could not find my way up, I thought of all the places for me to drown don't let it be in a kiddy waterpark with an 8 year old boy standing on me! Eventually I started kicking the people and trying to get up, I surfaced and found Daniel who was starting to get worried because I never came up, I survived lol!

We went mini golfing and bowling, neither of which am I excellent at, but I can hold my own. That mini golf course was not designed for children! It was way way to hard, therefore I say I did good comparatively :] Bowling was fun, I manged to get a mixture of strikes, spares and gutterballs, interesting combination lol. Thomas is ridiculously good at bowling so he won, and Daniel beat me too, but we were really close! We played UNO for a few hours, which was fun because I haven't played that game in many many years and their family made up extra rules to make it even more complicated. They also attach points to the cards you have left over in your hards when someone wins, and the point of the game is have the lowest number of points at the end. Guess who won overall....thats right, ME! I did a little happy dance and told Daniel that he can be better at bowling because I am better at UNO :] We also went to play badminton, its super popular here, the only time I've played it is in PE in middle school, so needless to say I was not spectacular. Daniel tried to teach me different moves and made me practice, suddenly I remembered why I hate coaches, they make do things over and over and over again! The next day my muscles were in so much pain, I wanted to hit Daniel for making me practice so much lol.

Monday rolled around and it was time to leave Lalandia, we took our time driving back and stopped for lunch  in some small town close to the shore. Here I learned that Danes will use a knife and fork for literally everything, I ate a chicken club sandwich and potato wedges with utensils, I also discovered that mayonnaise is like ketchup here, they dip fries in it :\ yikes! On the trip home I experienced one more new thing, a Danish Hospital. Don't freak it wasn't for me, I know i'm clumsy it would be pretty normal but not this time lol. Thomas's father had a problem while were in Lalandia and was taken to a hospital, so we went to visit him. The hospital was a smaller one but did not look like a medical facility at all, it just looked like an old building! It was even in a neighborhood, from his father's room I saw apartments and a playground twenty yards away. He is doing very well, he was very talkative and in good spirits so I'm pretty sure there is nothing to worry about anymore.

The week went along just like any other, you know train, class, avoiding homework, until Thursday. Thursday was like one of those movies where literally everything can go wrong, but for me unlike in the movies it didn't end up "alright" in the end! So my day starts off in the morning cramming for my two upcoming tests. I  grab for my belt so I can leave to catch the bus and make my way to Copenhagen, small problem...my belt broke! Those who know me know that belts are not a fashion accessory for me but a daily necessity to keep my pants up. So I walk to the bus with my saggy pants :[ and Sierra is waiting for me by her street. I can see the stop, just over a block away and 6 minutes to get there, no prob! Next thing we know we see a bus pass us...WHAT! That was our bus, and it was 4 minutes early...we run for it but there is no way we could make it and the driver couldn't see us. NOOOOO!!!
The next bus wasn't for twenty minutes and we both had tests in our first class. So we both are in bad moods after that but there was nothing we could do but wait around. The next bus was late and when we pulled into the train station lot our train was already there, NO!! we almost knocked a woman over way trying to get of the bus, and then we sprinted the entire pathway towards our track, not an easy feat when your pants are nearing your ankles! While I was running I kept having to reach behind me and grab my jeans. We just barely made the train, hallelujah! When the morning goes according to plan we have an extra 10-15 before class starts after we arrive in Copenhagen, which we both planned to use for studying, well that clearly wasn't going to happen anymore so we frantically try to study on the train.

This is when the universe really stuck it to us, our train broke! So we had to get off at the Hellerup station and wait for another train...fantastic, we were already going to be late for our tests, now we were going to be EVEN later! We arrive in Norreport and jog the ten minutes to DIS, again difficult with saggy jeans. While we are jogging Sierra literally strips the belt off her pants and helps me put in on so that we can run! Is she a great friend or what lol. I am sure that all the people on the street were very confused as to why there were two girls running down the street both tugging at one of the girls' pants. Eventually I got to my class, belted and barely breathing to take my test! Not sure how that test went, probably not so good. My next test was in Danish, I probably should have studied the culture part more! At the end of the day I thought oh man will this day never end.

I met up with Sierra again after class and we did some shopping, mostly me saying things looked cute and Sierra trying them on,we kept joking that with the way our day had gone what else was going to happen that day? Little did we know that while we were casually strolling along Stroget laughing and shopping the next bad thing was lurking behind us! We go to a shwarma shop to buy some food and I put my back pack down to get some money. What do I find? My front pocket is open and my wallet is gone! Fantastic! So we went walking around Stroget again, going back into every shop we visited and asked everyone if they had found a wallet, I even checked every garbage can in a 2 block radius, nothing :[ My whole life was in the wallet and know somebody else has it. Not the happiest day of my life to say the least. I'm starting to get everything together again but it is so complicated being in another country and there are still a few things I am having problems with. From what I have heard it is common in Denmark that when a person steals someone's wallet they will turn it into the police a week or so later, and then they can track me down, they know where to find me since my Danish Social Security card was in there! I'm just hoping and  praying that whoever it was will turn it in and that it can get back to me somehow.

Since Thursday things have looked a bit brighter. On Saturday I met some more Danes, Thomas and Christina had a family over that they have known for many years. Very nice family and the mother has lived such a life, she traveled around the world for a year in her twenties! I was just a bit jealous, but hey maybe I can do that someday :] After that I went over to Sierra's house with her host family and we made a feast of banana breads with an assortment of flavors, the craziest one was a banana, chocolate, raspberry, hazelnut and marzipan bread, can you say sugar coma? It wasn't too bad actually, you just have to eat small bites at a time lol :] Today I went over to Lindsey's house and we went ice skating on a frozen lake, amazing :] It was a really pretty way to see the lake, though a bit scary at first looking down into a dark blue abyss. I fell twice, which considering my track record was impressive! I attempted to make an ice angel, but it just wasn't working lol. And now I am here, writing this blog and avoiding the Danish homework that has been staring me in the face for the past few hours, it might be a good idea to get to that!

Good night for me, but good day to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment