Saturday, May 14, 2011

Climbing my way to Sweden!

Alyssa went rock climbing!

I went on a day trip with DIS to the coast of Sweden for a lovely day of climbing some sea cliffs! It was an amazing experience, the weather was spectacular, sunny and warm, and the view of the sea was breathtaking! Probably one the most beautiful and exciting days of my life :] I had one of those "I can't believe the world is so magnificent moments" while I was climbing, just the way that the rocks could be formed over millions of years to be so perfect for me to climb on them :] The water was a gorgeous blue green color, if I knew we weren't in Sweden and the water would feel like ice, I might have jumped in, unfortunately I still have some sense left and realized that I would be wayyy to cold!

It was a lot of fun to see this group of students really push themselves to the limit and accomplish something amazing. A couple of the walls were really hard to climb, and I mean really hard, like some girls took over half and hour to reach the top, but no one gave up, not a single person. It was so inspiring! I tackled 3 of the 4 walls, my arms were just way to tired to attack the beast of all rock cliffs, so I left it be! I felt alive scaling the side of the rocks, because I pushed fear out of my mind as much as I could. Its weird, I know that I won't fall and hurt myself but there is still the  psychological "but what if I do!" I got over it pretty quickly, but I think my friend Avery might be scarred for life lol. We learned how to belay the other climbers ourselves, so my friend Alana was the main belayer and I was the anchor for our friend Avery. Avery was belaying down the rock face and Alana let the rope go too fast, so next thing you know Avery scrambling against the rock screaming "TOO FAST ALANA, TOO FAST!" Alana immediately grabbed hold of the rope while the rest of us just burst out in laughter, Avery included. After that every time Alana was the belayer we'd say something along the lines of "okay Alana, now try not to kill us too!"

We left Sweden and stopped at a restaurant for dinner back in Denmark...once again ground beef and potatoes, I am getting really tired of beef and potatoes! The rest of the week I had absolutely nothing to do so I spent my days lounging around the house and relaxing--I needed to de-stress from the weeks before!

Tuesday I met Christina at her work in Hellerup to have lunch at her canteen....fantastic! It was like a buffet lunch restaurant with delicious food and an amazing view of the city! After the lunch I went into Copenhagen to meet up with Sierra and we went to Tivoli, the amusement park in the city, to meet our host sisters. Their class went to Tivoli for the day so we met up with them after they broke off from the group to have our own fun! Tivoli is wonderful, its beautiful inside with lots of trees, gardens, flowers and ponds, and the rides were AWESOME! Think Puyallup Fair on steroids...and Tivoli is still better! Sierra and I went on this insane swing ride. Its like normal swings, in the sense that you sit and they spin, but the swings were like height of a sky scraper and the rose up and down and up and down while you were spinning fast enough to make you sick! I could see over the whole city! Thomas and Christina met up with us after work and we hung around until 8:30 then went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner...yummi :]

Thursday night Amy and Sierra came over for dinner with my family, it was fun and sad at the same time! Its so weird to think that soon we will be gone, my life for the last 4 months will be over and I have to go back to my old life. Sierra basically forced me to go out with her that night lol, I agreed only if we would come back at a decent hour! We got into the city at like 11:30 and hung around for a while, she took me to some of the popular DIS bar spots. Sierra told the bar tenders that I was a friend of hers visiting from America in hopes that they would give us free/discounted drinks...it worked lol! We ran into a few of her friends and hung out with them for a bit. We left around 1:30 and took the night bus back to Birkerod...I was really tired so I told sierra that I was going to nap on her and she should wake me up when we need to get off lol :]

I spent the night at Sierra's and we got up in the morning and made pancakes then went to our host sisters' school up the street to meet Benedicte and Maria. Benedicte took me on a tour of the school and made me play some weird game which I was AWFUL at! It involved a tennis ball and some jumping...no no no! We lounged around the house because it was raining...it made me miss Seattle! Amy came over last night and spent the night...we watched a movie with Thomas and Christina and went to bed...sometimes I think we're not really college students lol!

And now as soon as I finish this blog I am going to start packing....ahhhhhhh! I feel like I want to go home, but at the same time i'm not ready to leave yet....ugh my emotions are quite torn :\

No comments:

Post a Comment